Skinpress Demo Rss

Saturday, May 10, 2008

~Andando en Huelva~

While taking one of my numerous walks that, at times, don´t stray from Avenida Andalucía, (aka Av. de cholesterol for reasons as such), I try to soak in every ounce of energy that surrounds me: The slightly strong breeze blowing my hair into my face, tempting me once again to contemplate making bald beautiful; The salty smell of the air that is occasionally overpowered by the home cooked smells escaping from the windows above that provoke a growl in my stomach; The, not so various, shapes of people partaking in their nightly jog, utilizing park benches to strengthen their abdominals or stretch their tired muscles; The loud buzz of motorbikes racing by, temporarily interrupting the chattering of people describing their daily activities to their families in a language no longer foreign to me; Families are always outside taking in the fresh night air, simply enjoying the company of their neighbors while taking a ´café con leche´ as the children play nearby; Today is a bit special, in the fact that it is the day everyone returns from ´El Rocío´. Because of this, I am blessed with the colorful sight of children still adorned in their gypsy dress. To my left, parents are strolling, baby girl at hand struggling to perfect her first steps in the outside world. Couples are everywhere, arm in arm, hand in hand, lip to lip. There is an open display of love as affection is definitely not limited to the privacy of the home. I don´t only speak of younger people paseando arm in arm, but of individuals of a vast age range. As I smile to myself, a passerby comments on my quiet observing, telling me it should be my career. His thick andaluz accent is on of the more difficult ones to decipher. I smile accordingly as I greet him. He nods with understanding and his amused eyes are accompanied with a ´sta luego as he continues on his walk. A young guy stops to call my attention, and when I look up he has a confused look on his face as he realizes he has mistaken me for someone else. This is a rare occurrence considering the fact that my blonde hair is as rare here as a stoplight in Irondale, Ohio. My thoughts are interrupted by a loud ´pop´ as someone decides to celebrate with fireworks. There is such a healthy mix of old culture and modern living here in southern Spain. The more I experience and the more time I spend here, the more I grow to love this place. This small city that I had never before knew to exist, I now happily call my home, even if only temporarily. It is a bittersweet thought really. The peace I have found here, I recently let multiply by finally giving in to the pure ´goodness´. ´Goodness´ and felicidad that I once refused to put my trust in. I now realize that if you put all of your energy into constantly watching your back to avoid the inevitable sharp and painful knives, or if you are constantly analyzing the ´what-could-happen´ thoughts of the future, you truly miss out on the amazements and pure joys that surround you in the present moment. Sitting here on this worn out bench, surrounded by a rainbow of flowers, exotic palm trees, and up-turned pines, I contemplate, not where I came from yesterday or where I am going tomorrow, but who I am now. And, you know, for once I am content with my self-given response. I have a head filled with a plethora of new information, a heart surrounded by honest love, and a body racing with indescribable passion for life and those who have entered into mine. Of course, my content heart may have little to do with this city or the people that I have met, but much more with the continuously growing knowledge of myself and what kind of woman I aspire to be. I end as the casi-full moon brightens against the sky fading into darkness. As far as Huelva goes, I can return; As far as the special people in my life, we will keep in touch; As far as mi misma, I plan to enjoy life whole-heartedly, each precious moment here on Earth that God has blessed me with.

0 opinionated responses: